Accidents and injuries can happen at anytime, and they can have devastating, lifelong consequences as medical bills, an inability to work, and chronic pain leave you struggling. If your injury was caused due to someone else’s negligence or carelessness, you may be entitled to compensation that will ease your burden while holding the at-fault person accountable for their actions.
Led by Attorney Harry H. Albritton, Jr., the experienced personal injury attorneys at Irons & Irons P.A. are dedicated to helping those who have been injured or who have lost loved ones due to the fault of others. We fight to protect the rights of our clients and strive to obtain favorable outcomes to help them move forward with a more secure future.
Understanding Personal Injury Cases
When you suffer serious injury because of someone else’s negligence or poor judgement, such as being hit by someone because they were texting and driving, you can bring forth a personal injury suit against them to get damages for your suffering. They can also be based on an injury that that occurred due to someone else’s negligence related to a building or property, such as tripping on a torn area of carpeting. Additionally, family members can bring a wrongful death suit against a person or organization when the victim has passed away.
There are two directions your case can go: settlement or litigation. Most personal injury cases are settled out of court and the defendant or their insurance company will pay an agreed upon amount to the injured party. Once the settlement is signed and finalized, the matter is closed. On the other hand, the attorneys for the plaintiff and defendant can’t reach a settlement, a civil complaint is filed against the person at fault alleging their negligence or careless action led to the accident or injury. The next step is going to court where a jury will hear the case and decide the outcome.
Common Types of Personal Injury Cases
- Automobile accidents, including a tractor-trailer collision, motorcycle accident, two vehicles, or injury to a pedestrian.
- Premises liability, which is an accident that happens on a commercial property and is caused by the owner or proprietor failing to assure safety. Cases related to premises liability include slipping on wet flooring or an apartment fire caused by faulty wiring that’s not up to code.
- Dangerous and defective products;
- Wrongful death, such as a loved one passing in a fatal DWI accident, vehicle or motorcycle accident, or any other type of negligence that could cause a preventable, untimely death.
- Nursing home negligence including physical, emotional, or sexual abuse, prescription management, or neglect;
- Dog bites and injury;
Types of Case Settlements
Whether a case is determined in favor of the plaintiff and they receive a settlement, the amount received is determined by several factors that can be divided into two main categories:
- Special Damages – These include specific, calculated costs of the accident including lost wages, medical bills, and estimates of future costs of the injury such as continued lost wages, physical therapy, and ongoing appointments.
- Non-economic Damages – These include more “abstract” costs of the injury, such as chronic pain, permanent injury or disability, disfigurement, or emotional trauma.
Punitive damages are also a non-economic cost, but they’re factored differently. This amount is awarded to the plaintiff specifically to punish the defendant for their wrongdoing, such as in the case of a drunk driving accident or the gross negligence of a company who sold a faulty product.
Why Choose Irons & Irons, P.A.?
Following a serious injury, you’re facing an uncertain future with financial insecurity and a difficult recovery. During this time, an insurance company may approach you with a settlement, but it’s important to remember they are looking out for their bottom line. Having a personal injury attorney who will look out for your best interests can lead to a better outcome.
At Irons & Irons P.A., we have an experienced team who is fighting on your side to get the justice you deserve. We also have a registered nurse on staff who brings the medical knowledge necessary to dig into medical records and connect with physicians who can consult about your case. While our staff offers support, we understand there’s nothing more important than working one-on-one with your attorney. We offer that personalized connection, taking care to work closely with you from the first consultation to the completion of your case.
Schedule a Consultation with a Personal Injury Attorney in Morehead City Today
Personal injury Attorney Harry H. Albritton, Jr. and our team are dedicated to helping our clients get the compensation they deserve and will fight on your behalf to secure a fair settlement. Your case will be handled on a contingency basis, meaning you only pay an attorney fee if there is a recovery. Contact our attorneys at Irons & Irons P.A by calling 252-585-5150 or filling out the easy-to-use contact form below.
Protecting your Privacy ~ Your privacy is our primary concern. At Irons & Irons, we understand the importance of protecting your privacy and will never share your contact information with a 3rd party.