Experienced Truck Accident Attorney in the Morehead City, NC Area
If you or someone you love was injured due to a commercial truck accident, reach out to Attorney Harry H. Albritton, Jr., a truck accident attorney in Morehead City, NC. We are dedicated to helping you get the compensation you deserve and hold those responsible accountable for their negligence.
The Truth of Truck Accidents
Commercial truck accidents, including those involving semi-trucks, tractor trailers, and local delivery trucks occur much more frequently than most people realize. According to an IIHS report in 2018,
- 4,136 people died in commercial truck accidents;
- Out of those deaths, 67 percent were people in passenger vehicles or cars, 15 percent were motorcyclists or bicyclists or pedestrians. In these crashes, 16 percent of truck drivers died.
- The rate of fatal accidents involving trucks are on the rise. Between 2009 and 2018, deaths increased 31 percent.
What is causing these accidents and why are they occurring more often? According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, commercial truck accidents are often avoidable, caused by factors including poor maintenance, improper bed loading, or defective parts. Also, the driver may be at fault. Trucking companies expect drivers to meet strict deadlines and mileage logs, which can lead to the following issues:
- Distracted driving, like texting or using GPS;
- Fatigue or lack of rest or breaks;
- Driving while intoxicated;
- Aggressive or reckless driving;
- Lack of training or experience in driving a truck;
Truck Accident Liability
If you’ve been injured in a truck accident through no fault of your own, multiple parties may be held accountable. Truck owners or the trucking company are responsible for maintaining vehicles, making sure drivers have proper resources and training, and providing a safe working environment for drivers. With cases of truck accidents, responsible parties may include:
- Truck owner
- Driver of the truck
- Trucking company
- Loader of the truck
- The truck designer or designer of one of its parts
- The truck loader
- Property owner where the accident happened and/or a driver in another vehicle
- Truck manufacturer or manufacturer of one of its parts
Securing an experienced truck accident lawyer is key to having the representation necessary to achieving a favorable outcome in your case. Proving negligence can be difficult and insurance companies are looking out for their best interests, not for victims. Attorney Albritton will advocate on your behalf and fight for justice in your case to secure compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, and the pain and suffering you experienced or the loss of a loved one.
North Carolina Truck Accident Claim Statute of Limitations
North Carolina does have a statute of limitations of three years from the date the accident occurred for a plaintiff to file a claim if an injury occurred. A wrongful death claim statute of limitations starts from the date of the death and ends two years thereafter. That’s why you don’t want to wait or delay if you believe you have a case because once the statute of limitations runs out, the door for justice closes.
Schedule a Consultation with a Truck Accident Lawyer in Morehead City, NC
Contact us today by calling