An Experienced Wrongful Death Attorney in Morehead City, NC
Losing a loved one is one of the most painful experiences you can have, and if the death was caused by negligence or someone else’s wrongdoing, it is even more tragic. The loss of income, high medical bills, funeral costs, as well as pain and suffering are all made worse with the knowledge that someone else was at fault. Having a wrongful death attorney in Morehead City, NC who will advocate on your family’s behalf is key to getting justice and holding responsible parties accountable. Attorney Harry H. Albritton, Jr. is an experienced attorney who will fight for what is right and fair.
Wrongful Death Laws in North Carolina
Wrongful death in North Carolina is defined as the loss of life caused by the wrongful act, neglect, or default of another. It is similar to a personal injury claim in that the responsible party may need to pay for damages, there are differences. In a wrongful death case, a representative of the victim’s estate brings the claim and when the personal representative files the claim, it is in an attempt to secure damages for the surviving family members of the victim as well as the victim’s estate.
In North Carolina, the statute of limitations for a wrongful death claim is two years from the exact date on which the victim died. After two years, the court can dismiss the case and prevent the victim’s estate from making a claim to receive financial compensation.
Common Reasons for Wrongful Death Cases
In the instance of a personal injury case in which the victim’s death can be tried as wrongful death. Common causes include:
Any vehicle accident caused by a driver’s negligence that led to the death of another party can be considered a wrongful death. These cases may include commercial trucks, motorcycles, boats, or pedestrians, as well as cars.
When a medical professional or health practitioner, including a doctor or nurse, fails to provide the standard level of patient care and a patient dies as a result, they may be held liable beyond medical malpractice.
Accidents and even deaths do happen in the workplace. The majority of these occur due to:
- Faulty equipment
- Hazardous working conditions
- Unsafe work environments leading to illnesses
- Accidents related to machines
- Improper training
If a loved one dies due to these circumstances, the employer can be held liable.
Victim of a Crime
If an individual died while a crime or malicious act was being committed, a civil case can be brought against them. Examples include robbery or sexual assault.
Compensation in Wrongful Death Claims
Compensation may be secured for noneconomic and economic losses as the result of damages from a wrongful death claim.
Economic losses may include:
- Final medical expenses costs
- Wages lost
- Loss of benefits and future income
- Reasonable burial and funeral expenses
Noneconomic losses may include:
- Suffering and pain
- Loss of the victim’s protection services, assistance, and care
- The loss of society, comfort, companionship, advice and guidance.
Why Choose Irons and Irons, P.A. for Your Wrongful Death Case
When you need a wrongful death attorney in Morehead City, NC., we are dedicated to justice and have a track record of excellence. Our case outcomes include:
- $225,000 to a client who was pregnant who presented to the hospital with elevated blood pressure and preeclampsia eventually resulting in death
- $320,000 against a home health employee who failed to treat an elderly paralyzed gentleman’s bed sores
- $375,000 to estates of a son and father after a fall from approximately 1,500 feet during the painting of a cellular tower
- $425,000 for the estate of an elderly man who failed to receive proper treatment for his neck injury while he was in a hospital’s emergency department.
- $895,000 for wrongful death of a man who had trench walls collapse around him as he was laying pipe.
Schedule a Consultation with a Wrongful Death Lawyer in Morehead City, NC
If you’ve lost a loved one due to negligence or an intentional act, we understand your struggle and are dedicated to holding the responsible party accountable. Contact our experienced team today by calling